Surf instructor course
We are running a surf instructor course here in the spring.The course is a 5 week course and is aimed at those who want to attain the level one International Surfing Association accredited instructor award. However, it is also open to those who want to utilise the course as a means of improving their surfing and/or just for personal development.
As well as preparing you for the ISA instructor exam we work on your own surfing. Our team of highly qualified and experienced surf instructors will also train you in all aspects of working in a busy surf school. Our comprehensive course covers all aspects of surf school operation and management.
Course runs from Feb to March 2018 for 5 weeks. After the course you should be ready to do the Irish Surfing Association Level 1 Surfing Instructor course and exam at Easter. The course is intensive but fun. You don’t need to be a great surfer to do the course but it is assumed you have the basics and would be improver level – this is defined as being able to catch a green wave some of the time and have a decent pop up. The level one surf instructor qualification is aimed at teaching beginners in whitewater so safety and swimming ability are just as important as surfing level.
The topics covered on the course include:
- The role of the surfing instructor
- Customer service
- Identifying laws and regulations that apply to conducting surfing lessons
- Equipment choices, maintenance and management
- Client management and safety
- Group management in an ever changing environment
- Identifying surfing lesson risks and hazards
- Emergency procedures and action plans
- Surf lesson planning and delivery
- Communication skills for the surfing environment
- Surf coaching techniques for beginner level surfers
- Assessing students performance
- Evaluating surfing lessons
- Minimising environmental impacts (social & natural)
The course will be flexible and based around the surf conditions however the basic plan will be to run coaching clinics in the morning with dry land modules in the afternoon. The first few weeks will be aimed at getting everyone to the required level surfing wise.
To book your place, contact Bundoran Surf Co on 071-9841968 or e-mail email@example.com The price for the course is €750pp and does not include accommodation. Long term accommodation available at Bundoran Surf Co.